[Wine] How many cpus can WINE use?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Oct 21 06:12:54 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 23:21 -0500, vitamin wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > in Linux, threads == processes.
>
> Eh? It was the case in 2.4.x kernels and older. Not anymore.  Read up
> on POSIX threads (pthreads). That's what Wine is using.

Fair cop - I was fooled by the way pidstat reports Spamassassin, which
runs spawned children. The '-T CHILD' option shows all its child
processes. OTOH, for Java the '-t' shows the various active thhreads.

> Simplest way program "top". Or any other "system monitors".

If there's much I/O going on 'top' may not show you a lot. Even
continuously scrolling a Java GUI app fast up and down a list of 9400
items only showed 40% CPU and a single process entry using "top", while
for the same program and workload "pidstat -C java -t 5 20" (show 20
samples at 5 sec intervals for all threads in the only Java process that
was running) showed all the running threads and their CPU usage.

This suggests that pidstat (part of the sysstat package) may be the best
tool for the OP to use since it can be run in a separate terminal window
without any special setup.

Martin