[Wine] Can't get Band-in-a-Box to run

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Oct 25 17:48:18 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 17:26 -0500, Radissthor wrote:
> uuuuhmm... this is going to sound weird, but I couldn't run the program from the terminal because I browsed all the /bb folder that was created in C: but I couldn't find an .exe file that said Band-in-a-box or anything like that. There were a lot (really, a lot) of applications that are adds-on, as it were, to BIAB, but no BIAB.exe or anything like that....
>
> I don't know what's happening. I got this CD from my music teacher and I was able to run it on WIndows, so it's not the CD... please help =(

Try this (should work on all GNOME desktops):

1) right click on the Band In A Box icon, select Properties and the
   Command line on the Basic pane gives the full pathname of the
   program that the icon launches. Note down the pathname and close
   the dialogue.

2) Start a terminal. Run 'which progname" where progname is the last
   term in the path name you found in (1).

3) run 'wine progname' if 'which' found the program or
   run 'wine pathname' if 'which' didn't find it.

NOTE: if you know a program name 'which' will tell you if its in $PATH,
which contains the list pf directories that where bash searches for
programs. You can also use 'locate' to find the full pathname for any
file whose name you know.

Martin