[Wine] Can't get Band-in-a-Box to run

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Oct 25 20:49:51 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 20:24 -0500, Radissthor wrote:
> Guys!! something horrible happened... After I rebooted and BIAB still didn't work I thought maybe I had to remove all Wine applications (BIAD was the only one installed anyway) and isntall it again... so I run
> rm -rf $HOME/.wine
> and eberything was deleted!!! my home folder, everything!!! there's nothing left!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Yep, rm can be extremely dangerous. Always use it with care.

If you have a backup, restore the /home structure from it.

If not, a clean reinstall is probably the best move, following by
reinstalling any non-standard packages, making a backup as soon as the
system is back together and remembering to take regular backups
thereafter. Hard drives do die, some makes more frequently than others.

Backups:
- Mondo is OK, if a bit slow and you like backups to optical media.
- I prefer using a portable USB drive and doing the backup with rsync.
  The first backup may take an hour or two but after that its quick:
  rsync always does the minimum work needed to make the backup match
  the main drive. My weekly backup of two fully loaded development
  systems takes under half an hour.

Martin