[Wine] debug log.txt

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Oct 27 04:53:06 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 20:59 -0500, flyfisherman wrote:
> fairly new to linux and some of these commands and the proper context
> confuse me. that was what was shown on the FAQ's to get a debug log.
> stdout still is empty but errlog.txt has a lot in it. thank you.

FYI, the *nix convention is that a programs normal output goes to stdout
and all diagnostics, debugging and error messages go to stderr. This
means that in a pipeline:

app1 arguments | app2

the intended output of app1 is handled by app2 but error reports etc.,
which app2 almost certainly can't handle, will appear on the console.

FYI, run the following by cutting and pasting the complete line into a
terminal window. Why does it display what you see?

 (sleep 5;echo "One")& (sleep 4;echo "Two")& (sleep 3;echo "Three")&

Martin