[Wine] "Snuffler"

David Hunter wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Oct 30 04:00:29 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I am having an issue with a program that I use for work called "Snuffler". It's a freeware program that plots geophysical data into maps. I would provide the URL to the download, but just now when I've gone to find it, the website is offline... (Don't know why). Regardless, I have a copy of the .exe installer should anyone desire it for testing purposes.

Anyway, the program opens fine and runs ok (graphics are a bit shonky, but it's manageable - and that's all I really want from freeware anyway!).

The problem is that at random, the program - when run under Wine - becomes unstable (that is, it "encounters an unexpected error... [yadda yadda yadda that Windows error message crap]"). I am running Wine 1.1.32 on Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu 9.04).

When I open Snuffler in a terminal, I only get one error message, and that's immediately upon start:

Code:

fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC" (8.0.50608.0)

That's the only error message that I get, including when the crash occurs (which seems to be at random). This random crashing does not occur when it is running on Windows normally (so I can rule out a shonky programmer who made Snuffler!).

So I don't know if the above error message may be contributing to this issue. If so, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for help given.