[Wine] Absolute noob needs help getting and useing the right bits

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Sep 1 11:35:41 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 10:31 -0500, Skellibert wrote:
> The problem in that regard is that we have only a hard wired
> connection right now and we don't want their PC in our room right next
> to ours. We are investigating a few options, but hopefully soon we
> will go wireless network at home

This is not WINE-specific advice but, have you looked at using HomePlug
(wired network over the house's ring main)?

That will let you go on using all your current wired kit without needing
to put any more CAT5 cable in the walls. It may be cheaper than going
all wireless: I haven't done the sums.

If there are other wireless networks near your home, will probably be
faster because you'll avoid wireless packet collisions. My sister's
family uses it and finds that it works well. It doesn't need any setup:
just plug the HomePlug units into wall sockets and connect them to the
computer and router.

Martin