[Wine] Re: what for wine for win32?

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 1 12:01:12 CDT 2009

rynio6354 wrote:
> Hello i have a question, what can i do with wine for win32 under my windows xp? And is there any difference between compatibility mode and wine?

In theory, there are multiple advantages of having part of Wine in Windows.

You could build Wine's DLLs for Windows and replace the native ones. Doing this, you would be running open-source code on your Windows machine. You would have much (much much much) more control under what's going on inside your windows machine. It is also useful do run compatibility tests. That is, you can see if one of Wine's DLLs behaves precisely as the equivalent native Windows DLL.

On systems whose graphic cards do not support DirectX (or, for instance: DirectX 10 in XP, which is not supported by M$), you would be able to use Wine's DLLs to run the application. Many Virtual Machines (Such as VirtualBox) do this already: They use Wine's D3D implementation which wraps around OpenGL. Doing this, they get 3D acceleration in Direct3D apps.

Possibly, running a certain version of Wine's DLL might improve app compatibility (imagine switching around compatibility modes).

Of course there probably are more reasons, but I think that the best reason to ever get Wine's code running in a Windows machine is the fact that it is Open-Source/Free Software. You would be able to modify it! Imagine the possibilities!

Cheers,
Jorl17