[Wine] Re: Garry's Mod Questions

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 2 07:10:05 CDT 2009

saronn wrote:
> Ugh, I feel terrible. It's midnight, I just capped my internet connection downloading files I found out I don't need, and I have no idea where to go next. What do other people do that I need to do? What do other people have that I don't have? I'm back to square one after 3 weeks. Shouldn't there be ANY explanation to what I have to do? Other people install Linux and all they have to do is download a file. Some don't even have to do ANYTHING. I'm tired, annoyed, and frustrated. I think I might go get some sleep. I know only a few of you can help me, but please, I'll try anything.

Calm down, relax, Unix is evil I know it.
When I told you about lspci I assumed that your distro had it. (If you're not running one of those user-friendlier distros like ubuntu or fedora or banana you should ;)). Most distros already have that application within them. Maybe you should open up a terminal console and type that: lspci. Is there a decent output? If there is -- great!

One of the first few things I had to do when I came to GNU/Linux was precisely get to know my gfx card. For that, I googled (just like I did now). Here's what came up:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-tell-which-graphics-vga-card-installed/

It's as simple as:

Code:

lspci -v | grep VGA

That should tell you what your card is.

It may happen that your PCI ID isn't recognised (resulting in incorrect or absent output). In that case I'd suggest updating the data file (the above link mentions it) or opening up your PC.