[Wine] Wine on Snow Leopard: dumbed-down help needed

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Thu Sep 3 20:21:19 CDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 7:57 PM, toiletresin wrote:

> Hi, all. I just got a fresh new hard drive on my white MacBook and
> installed Snow Leopard (10.6). I was a happy Wine user when I had
> 10.5, but now I can't get Wine to install. First I tried to install
> wine-devel with Macports, which failed because it couldn't find the
> 32-bit Freetype libraries. I then downloaded the latest source and
> did the whole "./configure" and "make" bits, but I didn't install
> because it issues a bunch of warnings about no support for basic
> things like jpeg and mp3. I don't want to bother with Wine if I
> can't view most image files or listen to most of my music files. I
> just want to get a basic, functional version of Wine so that I can
> use audio, graphics, and possibly video software designed for
> Windows. No fancy videogames or anything. I've read other threads on
> this but can't find any instructions that are basic enough for me to
> follow. Please help if you know how to do this. If it's not
> possible, I'm willing to just reinstall Leopard. Thanks in advance!

First things first:

10.6/Snow Leopard came out less than a week ago.  Be patient, as there
are kinks to work out.  If Wine is an absolute must for you, rollback
to 10.5 if you must.  If you're using MacPorts packages, you might
file a bug report with the maintainer with any relevant info.  They'll
likely be able to fix it faster given enough reported problems.

Apple changed a number of things with Snow Leopard, the most visible
Wine-facing portion being the compiler's default output of 64-bit
code.  You can specify compiler flags to force 32-bit code generation:

   gcc -arch i386 -m32

Note also that MacPorts installs a lot of Wine prereqs that you will
need to compile yourself.  The (non-exhaustive) list I use is:

   Freetype - freetype-2.3.9.tar.bz2
   GSM        - gsm-1.0.13.tar.gz
   JPEG       - jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz
   libpng      - libpng-1.2.39.tar.gz
   libxml2    - libxml2-2.7.3.tar.gz
   libxstl       - libxslt-1.1.24.tar.gz
   mpg123  - mpg123-1.9.0.tar.bz2
   tiff             - tiff-3.9.1.tar.gz

These all have to be compiled 32-bit by specifying compiler flags as
above.  If you're not comfortable with compiling and installing
packages from source, there's not much simple help anyone can give you.

   ryan woodsmall
     rwoodsmall at mac.com

"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch." - Garrison Keillor