[Wine] Re: wine advantages over mingw

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 3 23:48:43 CDT 2009

tinku99 wrote:
> What are the advantages of using winegcc over the mingw cross compiler?

You can make winelib apps/libraris. That's all. You'll need Wine to run them however. That's really the only thing you can do with winegcc.

tinku99 wrote:
> Also, what are the differences in the header files / libs supplied with each ?

Wine always have enough headers to compile itself and all of it's tests. But not the fill set of SDK/PSDK headers. While mingw has lots of standard SDK headers, that some times do miss some pieces required by Wine.

tinku99 wrote:
> I have an app cross compiling with mingw using codeblocks, and I have it working under winelib side by side native linux code.

Wine does not cross compile anything. It's using good 'ol gcc. All of Wine's libraries are .so.

However, you can ask Wine to crosscompile all tests and some dlls. However for that Wine uses ... mingw.