[Wine] Serial port problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Sep 4 17:25:11 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 12:08 -0500, folderol wrote:
> Using gtkterm on both of these with the usual, 9600 baud, 8 bit data,
> no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control.

No flow control always makes my teeth itch - you're betting that the
receiving program is *always* fast enough to be ready for the next
character. This is often not the case with newline, because the receiver
may need to scroll the screen: as this involves copying everything in
the window up a line and clearing the bottom line, in general it is
bound to be MUCH slower than merely adding the next char to the current
line or even expanding a TAB.

> Sending individual characters, or any group of characters either way
> shows no problems at all.

That's expected if they don't include a newline or maybe a tab.

> Sending from Tera Term, to gtkterm works fine, no problems at all, but
> sending the other way results in always losing the first two
> characters of a line, and if it's more than about 8 characters also
> losing later ones, apparently randomly.

Try setting XON/XOFF handshaking at both ends and see if this helps.
This is a purely software way of preventing data loss, so should work on
any hardware.

Martin