[Wine] Soundcard detection failing

Themistocles wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 5 05:17:20 CDT 2009

Hello all!  I'm as new to these forums as I am to Linux, so please bear with me if I fail some of the etiquette!

I'm running an Ubuntu 9.04 distribution.  Sound has so far worked wonderfully in Ubuntu proper (playing music in Movie Player [current default] and through Firefox [Pandora] causes two streams to play; I don't seem to have issues with mixing!)

PROBLEM:

Ventrilo under Wine doesn't allow me to use my microphone (though I can hear others just fine).  In the course of troubleshooting this, I've found that the Audio tab under winecfg does not list the appropriate devices.  Specifically, it looks like:

- Sound Drivers
   - [Check] Alsa Driver
      - Wave Out Devices
         - default
         - default
      - Wave In Devices
         - default

No other drivers (OSS, JACK, NAS, EsounD) are checked.

HARDWARE:

I've run across several threads recommending to use the command /proc/asound/cards to determine which sound cards are on my system.  This command does not execute ("command not found"; and then only in sudo).

"aplay -l", however, returns:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So Ubuntu recognizes my vendor soundcard and my USB headset.  Why doesn't Wine?

N.B. I cannot edit .asoundrc as some threads I've found suggest; I do not have it on my computer at all.  I've tried creating it and putting in the helpful code to no avail.

SOFTWARE:

In the Volume Control panel, I have selected "HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)" as my Device.  I've "enabled" everything under the preferences tab and ensured nothing is unnecessarily muted.

In the Devices tab of the Sound Preferences, Autodetect is enabled for Sound Events playback, Music and Movies playback and Audio Conferencing playback.  For Audio Conferencing capture, I have "Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Audio (ALSA)" selected.  The test for each of these sections passes.  The Default Mixer Tracks device is "HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)" with "Master" highlighted in the box below.

DONE SO FAR:

I don't rightly know all that I've done up to this point but I reversed most of it after it failed.  I have downloaded and installed some packages (alsa-oss, libasound2, lib64asound2 (though I don't think I have a 64 bit system), libasound2-dev, lib64asound2-dev, libasound2-plugins).

I greatly appreciate any help!