[Wine] installing crossover games broke my working Wine?

iphigenie wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 5 10:11:05 CDT 2009

Note: This is on Slackware 13 if it makes any difference.

(Note: I am quite clued up about the CLI/text/server bits of linux but once it gets to Xorg or sound I'm quite clueless)

Note: this is all without installing WoW within either wine or crossover , just running it straight from disk

1. I had installed the wine that comes in slackbuilds, 1.1.24
I tried a few programs and for example World of Warcraft worked straight from the directory where I installed it from Windows - I would see the graphics, and I played it. It was playable indeed, apart from a few animation glitches, without even changing to openGL. No sound, though, but at least I had graphics.

Tried a few settings, trying to change the order of sound cards in alsa etc. but no luck

2. Because it had no sound and also to see if perhaps some other programs which don't work (eg: acdsee pro) I went to get a demo of first crossover office, then crossover games.

WoW worked fine in crossover office, but still no sound (no luck with acdsee, incidentallyIirc). If I recall correctly I installed that one centrally (from root, not under a user)

3. Then I tried crossover games. In there, WoW doesn't even show the 3D graphics (black screen with just 2d elements showing). I dont know what is different but I noticed it did download directx so perhaps it is that. I know that I installed this one under my user.

The strange thing is, I now have the same problem in Wine that worked before - black screen with only the 2d interface showing.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling wine, building a newer version, nothing fixes it. I must now suspect that crossover games changed some configuration which wine also looks at.

Just asking here in case someone has had that problem and knows what dumb thing I have done.

My next step else is to delete all my user's wine and crossover files, and try again.