[Wine] Installing Wine on ubuntu 9.04

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 08:40:44 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM, NewtoLinux<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hey this is my first time trying Linux. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 about an hour ago. The reason why I installed was I wanted to play Diablo II. I tried everything and couldn't get the game to run on Vista. So I'm dual boot running Vista and Ubuntu. I wanted the easiest to understand Wine. I didn't want to download the developers version, I wanted the latest stable version.
>
> I downloaded wine-1.0.1.tar.bz2 from sourceforge. Is that right, I'm not used to all the linux abbreviations? A year ago I didn't even know what a .iso was.

The 1.0.1 is getting old... you should definitely get latest version if possible

According to http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleaseCriteria, wine 1.0 was
tagged as being able to run correctly for (at least) the following
apps
*  Photoshop CS2 tryout
*  Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer 97 and 2003
*  Microsoft Word Viewer 97 and 2003
*  Microsoft Excel Viewer 97 and 2003

Latest 1.1.* should work better (short of potential regressions); see
winehq's download section for more information