[Wine] Serial port problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Sep 7 18:52:34 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 15:43 -0500, folderol wrote:
> I've also now found the real cause of the original problem. The makers
> of the kit I was trying to link were cheapskates and instead of using
> a proper serial chip, they used a diode-resistor-capacitor trick to
> level shift 0-15V swings to +-7V (ish). However, there was a dry joint
> on the diode so it took qute a few cycles before it had built up the
> DC offset - hence the first few characters being missing.

Well spotted indeed. I guess you have access to a 'scope.

> The fact that TeraTerm was exhibiting (apparently) similar behaviour
> totally threw me off the track :(

I tried it years ago, didn't rate it a lot and ended up standardising on
PuTTY for ssh and telnet plus Kermit for serial comms. You may be right
about Kermit starting off as pure file transfer. I've certainly seen
versions that were purely CLI file transfer tools. As, in those days,
file transfer was usually preceded by logging on and starting the remote
server and followed by stopping the server and logging off, I imagine it
grew terminal capabilities PDQ.

Martin