[Wine] NWN2 crashing with page fault

magiuspendragon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 8 07:05:38 CDT 2009

Two days ago, I had a working install of Neverwinter Nights 2, with both expansions, without a nocd crack. I say working, but it was having some trouble in that it was hanging after 15-20 mins of gameplay. So I was tweaking things around, trying to find the source of the problem, and at one point I tried copying over a NOCD exe. That's about when things went south.

Once I copied over that exe, it wouldn't even get to the main menu, it crashes with a page fault immediately. I spent most of the day yesterday trying the following things:
1) Moving the regular exe back over the NoCD crack
2) Trying a fresh install inside the same wine settings
3) Removing the .wine directory and trying a fresh install (this took about 4 tries, as the installer has started to have problems).
4) Removing the .wine directory, trying a fresh install on a non-fat32 partition
5) Removing the .wine directory and trying a fresh install w/o changing the install location

In addition, I tried the following things in terms of library support:
1) using winetricks for d3dx9, vcrun2005, vcrun2005sp1
2) using winetricks for directx9, vcrun2005, vcrun2005sp1
3) Copying over just devenum.dll and dxdiagn.dll, and the .manifest file (no winetricks)
4) Removing the ~/Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2 directory (I thought my saved games/ settings might be causing problems with running a not-fully-upgraded version of NWN2).

#3 is what I had working at some point in the distant past. When I installed Oblivion in the same wine env, somehwere around there i installed the winetricks version of d3dx9. As I said, this was working until 2 days ago.

Also, the installer for Storms of Zehir is now failing with some strange error message (just says its a components error, doesn't mention a file or anything), and when it does so, it leaves me with a non-working install (it deletes all the dlls and some other required files). I know it's not a space issue, because one partition i tried installing on has 20G free, another had 17, and hte last had 90. Before I deleted it, the game was taking up 12G.

I also tried retrograding the wine version a few times, between 1.1.24 and 1.1.28. I'm using Debian Lenny (I think...latest stable as far as i know), with the wine repo added in to get 1.1.28. I haven't tried going all the way back to 1.0.1 which is what's in debian's default repository.

My logs of terminal output got scrapped when I deleted the directories for fresh installs. What I remember is an err:I_RpcGetBuffer not implemented, and a page fault on accessing 0x00000000 (or however many 0's that is). Using a NoCD crack faults on 0xFFFFFFF. There are lots of fixme's also, but I don't remember any of them.