[Wine] Installing Wine on ubuntu 9.04

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Sep 9 04:05:55 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 01:48 -0500, NewtoLinux wrote:
> Hmmm I'm not used to the console interface.  I know this sounds basic
> but you could run through what you have to do? I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.
> I clicked Applications > Accessories > Terminal
>
> at the terminal screen I get username at computername-desktop:~$
> I type cd and it repeats the same line. Am I already at the exe's
> directory?

No. 'cd' with no arguments always returns to your login directory whose
name is in $HOME. You type 'cd dirname' to change directory to
'dirname'.

>  I'm not sure what I have to type, I don't want to mess up my system.
> I think I would type
>
> wine diablo II.exe

No - you have to hide the space in the name, so that would be input as
one of these:

wine "diablo II.exe"	# quoting the full name hidees space(s)
wine diablo\ II.exe     # escaping the space with '\' makes it
                        # just part of the filename

I'd *strongly* suggest you get a book about using Linux. There's a lot
that will make your life much easier if you learn it. O'Reilly books are
good, so get one of these:

Linux in a Nutshell
Linux Pocket Guide
Unix in a Nutshell - if you can't find either of the others.

Martin