[Wine] Re: State of Steam Games

fsleeman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 9 07:59:37 CDT 2009

Sorry, I meant Source games, although some people have had issues running games installed through the Steam service.

I disagree that a list a benchmarks for games in Wine is not possible or reasonable. Performance will certainly depend on a lot of factors, but a list of what setups provide "playable" performance (say +30 FPS) should at least give people an idea if they should even bother trying to get a particular game working under Wine. What may might the most sense is to compare the Wine performance vs. the Windows performance on a dual boot system. If nobody can post a frame rate better than 10 for a game under Wine, then I won't bother trying it myself.

Like you said, the definition of a high end system is subjective. Assuming you can get a program to run, getting a fast enough system will overcome just about any performance issue of Wine. When I see posts of people running much faster systems then me but get much worse performance under Wine than I get in Windows, it is certainly an indicator that there is a problem (could be them or could be Wine).