[Wine] Family Tree Maker Hang

jcobban wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 10 11:23:43 CDT 2009

Running FTM V9 under wine-1.1.29 on Ubuntu, I find that some complex tasks can be executed successfully immediately after starting FTM, but if requested after the program has been running for a while, they hang.  These complex tasks are ones that take time because they require scanning the entire database to collect information on every individual.  The file at http://www.jamescobban.net/wineerrors2.txt is the output of the wine command for a run where I requested a display of individuals with women identified by married names twice, once almost immediately after starting the program, and the second about a half hour later.  This problem is probably not easily reproducible by anyone else because my database contains 53,531 individuals, so performing these long running tasks is unusually demanding.  Note that similar tasks that do not require collecting information on every individual in the database, for example constructing a report, do not hang, probably because they are less demanding.

Since I suspect that this problem may only affect me, this is an FYI.  If there are debugging options that would help in identifying the cause of this hang, please let me know.