[Wine] Re: how to install wine

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 12 15:52:38 CDT 2009

Also, KDE is just one of many window managers - each window manager could make your desktop behave wildly differently. Knowing what window manager you're using is usually not important.

Also, you don't usually download Linux software from a site: you get it through your Linux distribution (distro)'s package manager. For example, Synaptic in Ubuntu and Debian. When you do download something from a site it's usually the source code, which you would have to compile into an actual usable program - this can be a lot of hassle for Wine if you're a beginner with Linux.

I suggest you find out what Linux distro you're using and then follow the correct instructions from http://www.winehq.org/download/ to get the latest version of Wine. If you can't work it out, I suggest you use an older version of Wine that's probably already immediately available in your package manager.