[Wine] Getting better perf from multithreaded app

dargaud wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Sep 15 15:13:28 CDT 2009

Hello all,
first post here,
I have a multithreaded program that I can't live without. It's a commercial RAW image conversion program called SilkyPix. It works fine under Wine, with a few very minor bugs. But one thing nags me: it's oh so slow...

- I have a 64bit quad core with Ubuntu 64.
- Wine can use the multicore (or so I've read in the FAQ).
- SilkyPix is also multicore-enabled (it ran very fast using all cores on that machine when I still had XP on it).
- But when I run SilkyPix in Wine it hardly uses one single processor.
- Indeed the cpufreq daemon hardly ever triggers from its lowest speed, so it goes 800MHz instead of 2600.
- I/Os stay very low (40Mb per image, one every 10s) so I don't think it's the issue.

So my question is: how can I get better performance on this one app ? Or does wine dedicate only one thread per application, even if the app itself is multithreaded ? XP was 5~10 times faster which is rather important when you need to process 1000 wedding pictures !

Thank you for clearing this up.