[Wine] Wine must implement user/group permission policy

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Sep 17 11:29:40 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 18:11, CruBourgeois <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Thank you for your answer. The user in question cannot install package and doesn't even know what a compiler is.

Extracting packages / tarballs might be enough... (mounting everything
they can write to noexec might work... $HOME, /var/tmp /tmp comes to
mind...)

> As for setting group permission, which binaries / directories are you talking about? I would appreciate a more detailed hint. I know Linux in general, I can do chmod. But I don't know what the policy or rules that Wine expect.

I'm not aware of any special considerations for Wine ehen it comes to
permissions... (Except that the user needs to own $WINEPREFIX)
> I would appreciate some clear indications like:
>
> - Give RWX to WineUsers group on this folder and subfolders (and please indicate exactly the path of that folder). Or better yet, can you give me the exact chmod command to run?

My guess would be:
chgrp WineUsers /usr/bin/wine*
chmod o-wrx /usr/bin/wine*

chgrp -R WineUsers /usr/lib32/wine
chmod o-wrx /usr/lib32/wine # might differ depending on distro

(doing it just on wineserver might be enough...)

The paths are probably distribution specific... (I'm on x86_64 Ubuntu Jaunty)