[Wine] Getting Black and White 2 to run

labrat256 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 18 13:14:20 CDT 2009

Hello

I dual-boot Ubuntu 9.04/Vista; I have more than adequate specs to run Black and White 2 on Vista, but it still runs at about 3 FPS! So, like several other games I have, I thought it may run faster on Wine. I wouldn't consider myself a linux expert, I can use the software well enough, but I'm still learning how the background works, having been spoonfed Windows since 3.1.

So, I installed it on Wine 1.0.1., which allowed me to install, but stopped at the splash screen when I ran it. I updated wine, to similar results. I then tried PlayOnLinux, to see if it would be able to help, but it wasn't supported. So, I googled it! That then provided a patch, http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2009-March/074040.html. So I googled how to apply a patch, discovered I'd need to recompile the source code. (I know about compilation etc. on windows, so this made sense to me, but if that is wrong, please correct me)

I downloaded the source code for Wine 1.1.16, and googled how to apply the patch. I was told to navigate to the folder (in the terminal), and run "patch <HeapSetInformation.diff", where HeapSetInformation.diff is the patch, within the Wine 1.1.16 directory. I then come across a problem, "cant find file to patch at input line 3". So, I googled that! I found several people with similar problems but trying to compile different programs (or the kernel). All of the solutions seemed specific to the use, so I couldn't adapt it to what I was doing. Much googling later, I've settled for asking for help!

So, is anybody able to help me get Black and White 2 running? Am I wrong in my way of approaching this? What could be wrong? Is something wrong with the patch? If anybody could link me to any resources where I could learn more about patches/what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it.