[Wine] Re: create *.so from *.dll ?

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 18 13:38:55 CDT 2009

doudz wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> I think my dll use some win32api to access the network, so there is no solution ...
>
> I have looked at winedump, if I correctly understand, it can be used for making some dll.so but that what you said, the dll must not use win32api ?

You can freely build a .dll.so Library. The difference from normal .so's is that this one will require wine to run at all time. You would be able to achieve this with Winelib (/f I am not mistaken).

What Vitamin mentioned was that you could freely port your DLL to SO if all of it was cross-platform. For instance, if you only use standard procedures/functions/methods/bananas you could compile it as a .so just fine, stripping any additional WinAPI specific stuff (such as DllMain, if that's what it's called in python).

But, according to what you said, you have no access to the DLL's source-code, so I can only think of using Winelib to make a proxy DLL.

For instance, you would create a .dll.so binary which 'wrapped' all calls to the real .dll, all running UNDER Wine. There are many things that mention this kind of thing in Winelib's documentation, IIRC.

Cheers,

Jorl17