[Wine] Re: installing wow

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 18 18:14:55 CDT 2009

blutengel wrote:
> allright i put in the terminal and it just said "command not found"
>
> and im not really sure what you mean by runing wow with the terminal or what ever you were saying i dont get it... although thank you for telling me what to do with terminals atleast i can do that now
>
> and i have been looking on forums and like i said all over the internet for hours i cant find any thing i understand or any thing that i havnt tryd but you must be right it is probably ubuntu ill try and find stuff on that instead of wine thanks

You are welcome.

What command failed? Please post the contents of the terminal here (just select it, CTRL+SHIFT+C and then CTRL+V here).

Running WoW over the terminal means running it from a console,, that's it...this allows you to get logs of what happens which might be useful when something isn't working.

Check the AppDB page for WoW and go find yourself some Ubuntu/Linux-noob tutorials about basic bash/shell/terminal/console commands, you'll always need them even with a good distro as Ubuntu (I personally use Ubuntu and have never had any problems with Wine-integration).

Wine is just....a complex application, so you can run it from the command line. It is used to run Windows binaries/applications, so you can run any app with the command:

Code:
wine <app>

 without '<' and '>'.

I think I know why Ubuntu reported that failure you told us about. To go past around it, open the CD/DVD-ROM (DO NOT execute AutoRun, that's what screwed you) and find a file with a name similar to setup.exe, wowsetup.exe or autorun.exe. After that, double-click it and it should start the installer.

Cheers,

Jorl17