[Wine] Re: create *.so from *.dll ?

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 19 07:11:42 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> doudz wrote:
> > I have looked at winedump, if I correctly understand, it can be used for making some dll.so but that what you said, the dll must not use win32api ?
>
> In this case the only way to "make a *.so" from it is to write a winelib wrapper around this DLL and run it under Wine. Then you'll have to use some sort of IPC to talk to that wrapper.
>
> Another option is trying to run your python script(s) under Wine with windows version of Python. However there were numerous problems with that setup and it might not work for you.
>

> jorl17 wrote:
> > You can freely build a .dll.so Library.
> >
> > What Vitamin mentioned was that you could freely port your DLL to SO if all of it was cross-platform.
>
> jorl17, Would you please read what people are saying first. He clearly said - he has no source code for that DLL. What are you proposing to build as .dll.so?

Well, I read that, precisely why I stated right at the end that even though he didn't have the source he could build a wrapper. After all, he has the headers, so he could make a library which imported those functions in spite not having the code. Forgive me if I am wrong about that, but I think it's something pretty normal/doable.

So I'm *kindly* (really, no offense) telling you to read what *I* said right at the end:

> But, according to what you said, you have no access to the DLL's source-code, so I can only think of using Winelib to make a proxy DLL.

But oh well what does that matter anyway right now? The real point here is to try and help.