[Wine] current state of Ubuntu Sound -- my experience

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:41:07 CDT 2009

2009/9/22 Susan Cragin <susancragin at earthlink.net>:
>>Do you use OSSv4? and if so what are your experiences with it so far?
>>I've heard that it's much better then pulse audio.
>
> No. I just use alsa-oss emulation.
> My one effort to install OSSv4 under UbuntuStudio Karmic ended in a broken system.
> I'd like to re-try, when I have time. It looks so simple, but I'm so worried because Ubuntu has the sound so tightly bound up with Desktop and Metacity.
> I HATE pulseaudio being mandatory and non-removeable.

Tell me about it. I have been using OSSv4 quite happily on Jaunty. I
have been holding out from upgrading to Karmic because I have working
sound and understand Ubuntu have gone with PulseAudio at the exclusion
of everything else.

I would like to easily switch between different sound systems without
breaking the system I have.

Have you tried switching to a KDE version of Ubuntu (do they support a
KubuntuStudio)? As I understand it, KDE has its own sound system, and
last I tried I had working sound through it.

- Reece