[Wine] Using wine to run firefox

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:44:14 CDT 2009

2009/9/25 NewtoLinux <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> Ok I used the described method for firefox 3.5 and it worked. I see two main problems with running ff 3.5 through Wine. First you can't minimize the windows. Second firefox is slow at first. I was customizing the toolbar and it was taking forever to. Same with typing in an address my mouse clicks would be received up to 10 seconds later.
>  Does firefox 3 on Linux have these problems? How about different problems? Any fixes?

I've used Firefox for Windows under Wine a bit. It does look different
to Firefox native - it looks like a Windows application on my nice KDE
screen!

It should Just Work - download the .exe installer, run it in Wine and
there it is. If it doesn't there's something wrong, but not with
Firefox or Wine.

The Windows version apparently runs faster under Wine than the native
version. (Suggested reasons why include using MS VC++ instead of gcc,
and better code profiling.)

    http://www.tuxradar.com/content/browser-benchmarks-2-even-wine-beats-linux-firefox

It uses a different profile folder to the one used by the native Linux version.

Windows Firefox is well-supported by Wine, and if stuff breaks it is
of course a reportable bug.

- d.