[Wine] Re: Pulseaudio

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 27 14:59:23 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> Oli Warner wrote:
> > And for the record, I'd be more than happy to use ALSA on top of PA (or directly if it didn't need me to pasuspend) but it doesn't "just work".
>
> Used to, before PA came about. This clearly points that something isn't right about it. Get rid of PA (not disable, remove completely) and bingo - Wine's sound starts working again.
>
> If you say "app X requires PA" - recompile it without PA, all those apps still support ALSA/OSS. Ubuntu been hard at work for number of years breaking Wine every other way they can find. Ask them to get their act together and stop this practice. At least testing their new releases with Wine and fixing _major_ issues will be nice of them.

That's the problem with Free Software nowadays. Two communities diverge into a horrible hatred. Nobody wants to admit that each of them has to do something or communicate. Steps should be made. Someone from ubuntu should come here and discuss that, and the opposite too. Constantly decentralizing the guilt isn't going to please anybody and users don't care about "How it's done", they care that it IS done. What steps have been taken on both sides to make this happen?

More than that, *three* communities should cooperate, why not get three independent "maintainers" that can relate to each other and work together? Pulseaudio guys would have one maintainer, Wine would have another and Ubuntu would have another. As far as I know, there's a Wine-Ubuntu integration project (I think being carried out by Scott Richie).

And you may argue that everyone (or part of you) has done something already and waited for ages: It still doesn't work. That's what you/we/every-developer should focus on: "Making it Work.". So what if it is a hack now? Start another branch and develop something better, until then, alert the end-user that it is experimental. If it crashes, tell them you don't support it, but I think it would be something crucial to have that support as lame as it could be and as tough as it would be to get a decent integration.

You need the manpower, the will and the documentation.

But I don't particularly care about it right now, as I've said many times, Pulseaudio has always integrated perfectly with Wine over here on all my Ubuntu machines. Sure Ubuntu messes crap up (right now I always have to run a fix-sound script at the session start), but it works, lucky me.

Still, if we want to be stubborn about it: Hey, it's Free Software -- fork it.

Note that I am not implying that Wine/Ubuntu/PA developers haven't cooperated, I'm just sharing what *my* vision of an ideal development model would be.

What if Wine just 'modularized' its sound 'part'? Oh, yeah, right, DLL/SO hell, forget about that thought.

Bleh, in the end, the earth still orbits around the sun - If you want something done, do it.