[Wine] Re: Pulseaudio

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 28 13:50:27 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:

> Oli Warner wrote:
> > If you're saying "get rid of PA", you might as well say "boot into Windows" for every Wine bug!
>
> No no, I didn't said the last part came from you. Read again what I said - all programs that use pulseaudio still fully functional _without_ pulseaudio talking to ALSA/OSS.
>
> Anyone else sees something up here? Wine is being pushed to support yet another sound server because it's authors didn't bother to create properly functioning emulation layers. Probably because it is hard to emulate low level functionality. Worse, this very sound server (being a real sound server nothing more) still talks to the same sound drivers that all programs, including Wine, can still work with.
>
> No, get rid of extra bloat. It does no one any good. Keep things simple then they have better chances of working. And don't replace one POS with yet another POS - results will be the same, and you'll be searching for yet another POS in the end, unless you just stop and say no more of this, it used to work fine, where all _this_ came from.

Bith you, Vitamin, and oiaohm are right. Having another project manage sound would have that advantage, of course...it adds a dependency, though. I'm not sure how gstreamer works, would Wine be able to bundle it, or would it be a distro-choice? I'm thinking the latter.

Anyway, that's exactly the kind of thing that I think would be good -- have a configurable way to create your own sound drivers and get that weight off of wine's shoulders. Using GStreamer you would have to develop for it instead of developing for Wine. An additional thing would be Wine adding a sound base class and allow distros to implement their subsystems on their own -- that way Wine would be forcing them to care, because they *have* to care. But I understand this is a complex and unwanted thing...

But let's not just criticize Pulseaudio. I personally (even if the only to do that) adore Pulseaudio. It allows me to do many things at the distance of a click. Sure other software might do the same, but looking at it from a user point-of-view, who cares if there's an alternative? This works! It's just like the classic-and-lunatic FLOSS fan telling the Proprietary software user: "Hey we got a program that does the same and is Free, as in free speach"; the other guy simply doesn't care bout it, because what he has works!

Meh, like it's been said, Gstreamer might be the way to go.

Cheers,

Jorl17