[Wine] Re: frame/graphics lag in microsoft Freelancer

Basinator wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 1 16:44:57 CDT 2010

DaVince wrote:
> Plain Wine means an unmodified version of Wine that can be downloaded from this site or your distro's default package repository. Any versions of Wine (or their wineprefixes) that come with tools like PlayOnLinux are modified right from the start to work with whatever application you wanted to work. For example, it could install necessary extra libraries or override some internal Wine libraries.

Well, I have tried to install Freelancer both with POL and with "wine only" - The error messages are from wine only (Freelancer) install, without POL.

I guess I wasn't clear enough by myself,
this (http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=41849#41849) wasn't with POL but with the normal wine.

(The tutorial is also about wine and not PlayOnLinux)
But as far I have understand you POL also changes the way how wine normally works (plus I also used winetricks....). So what do I have to do exactly to get a "clean wine"? I also fear that Warcraft III won't work then anymore if all things I changed with wine are getting undone (results in crashes while saving the game in warcraft III, battle.net/multiplayer problems and so on....)
Or are you just referring to a other way to execute wine?

I also talked with a friend of mine and he said that most of the errors are stubs/fixmes.

But there is also a other thing, I am not sure but I believe this problem occured when I used winetricks and checked dx stuff...when I launch a wine application 2 windows pop up, one about "a critical error" with dxdllreg.exe (I "worked around" it by removing it from the registry (with backups of course) and the other window is Internet Explorer with the address http:///RegServer opened. I am not sure if the last one still exists, but I guess it won't harm to mention those bugs.

So shall I just re-try the winetricks thingy?