[Wine] WoW Install Trouble

Light Engine wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 1 17:40:49 CDT 2010

I'm having trouble installing WoW into my computer. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505, and have Wine 1.1.31 ("Wine 1.2").

I bought the battle chest and so the games are on single DVDs. When I pop the first game's disk in, there is no .exe file there to run, and nothing automatically starts running as I assume it would when I would put it into a Windows machine. In fact, the only files that are there is an OS X.app folder, a trash folder, a .mpq file and a ".VolumeIcon.icns" file.

I tried following the instructions listed in the 3.2 verson page. It says, "You can install World of Warcraft in wine through a variety of methods, such as using the CD or automatic downloader. If you wish, you may simply run it from a Windows partition, it's your choice ultimately." The problem is that I can't even install from the DVD, because it doesn't work and there's no .exe file!

So I could use some advice. I am not a "power user", but am comfortable with running commands in the terminal if I have to, as long as I'm told what they are.

Thanks.