[Wine] X11 (Mac) graphics problem

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 20:58:43 CDT 2010

John Keel wrote:
> Running OS X 10.6.3 on an Intel Mac (processors "2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo", memory "3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and the newest version of Wine accessible through MacPorts.
> Hey. A little while ago, I was having trouble installing wine. I eventually managed to install with MacPorts. Everything was going fine until today, when the program I actually wanted to run (Dwarf Fortress 0.31.01) was finally released. I open Terminal (I can't find wine with a right click) and cd to /Users/MYNAME/Downloads/df_31_01 (the uncompressed folder). I enter "wine dwarfort.exe (the file) and get the following message in terminal: fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
> fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
> fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
> fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
> fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.

This indicates that a specific function is not implemented yet for the
Mac.  Mac's use the CoreAudio fuction for sound.
> err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 800x300x32 @0! (NoRes)

This is caused by Mac's xrandr being broken and not reporting that your
screen supports this mode (and it is a very strange setting as well).
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!

You are running your Mac in German, maybe?  Wine uses the Locale
information from the Mac (lengthy discussion on this topic either here
or in Wine Development) to setup your Wine session.  Wine does not yet
fully implement the ability to switch to or from a specified language to
another.
> Meanwhile, X11 returns
> "Mode Switch Failed.
> Running In Windowed Mode."
>
> It then ignores my display settings (modified in df_31_01 after I first opened the program, if it matters) in init.txt, a file in a subfolder of df_31_01 that controls preferences. It does apply other changes, just not display size. I've tried resizing the window (with applescript, I am slightly less useless than with terminal while using it) but I can't figure out the syntax, and X11 won't allow manual resizing (the game won't allow it through dragging until the merge with a graphics update that was being developed simultaneously).
> Anyways, if anyone could wade through that morass of parentheses, help?

Wine cannot force X11 into Full Screen mode.  If you desire this
functionality you will have to get Crossover Games 4 Mac from
CodeWeavers.  This is because Apple's X11 does not implement this
feature and the X11 package from CodeWeavers does.

Wish I had a better answer, like the XQuartz folks are trying to fix
this, but they don't appear to be moving very fast on implementing this
function.

James McKenzie