[Wine] Running Diablo 2 without sound

Lysius wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 4 09:10:21 CDT 2010

I'm trying to run Diablo 2 without sound. For this I have deselected all sound drivers in winecfg.
Everything runs fine until I complete an act. The game just crashes when normally a video should be shown. I can watch the video from the main menu without problems.

I'm not sure if this is a bug in wine or in Diablo 2 itself (I guess this is not a common situation that would normally apply to a typical gaming system). How can I reproduce the situation (no sound driver selected in winecfg) with Windows to test this?

For wine I guess a dummy sound driver that does not produce any output or need any real sound hardware would come in handy.