[Wine] Problem with a Win95 application

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Apr 5 17:28:29 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 17:02 -0500, jeffz wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > I have a problem with two functions of an old Win 95 application. It
> > analyses gliding flight logs and produces up to three displays which can
> > be individually selected after the flight log is loaded but before
> > anything is shown apart from the initial blank window + menu bar:
> >
> > - a 2-D map display of the flight - this has always worked correctly
> > under Wine. though ot displays the fixmes:
> >
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> >
> > - a 2-D plot of altitude vs time. This has never worked. While
> > generating this display a series of 3 pop-ups appear showing the error
> > "Invalid property value". The only console output is this:
> >
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> >
> > This is followed by the program exiting.
> >
> > - an analysis of the flight - this is a mixture of bar graphs and text.
> > This has never worked. While generating this display a single pop-up
> > appears showing the error "Invalid property value". The only console
> > output is this:
> >
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> > fixme:comm:EscapeCommFunction16 no cid=0 found!
> >
> > And the program stops after drawing two scroll bars and adding a white
> > rectangle occupying the upper part of its window. The scroll bars work
> > and the program exits if the 'Exit' menu item is selected.
> >
> > I'm using Wine 1.1.23 configured as Win 95 and no overrides. All
> > settings are defaulted apart from selecting Windows 95.
> >
> > I know that this is an old Wine version, but the common failure factor
> > seems to be that the two failing displays are built using coloured
> > rectangles while the map isn't. Is this due to something missing that
> > winetricks could fix?
> >

> > Martin
>

> Please retest with 1.1.42.
> What's the name of this application?

EWview

> Have you checked to see if a bug has been reported for it?

Nothing reported. I thought I'd added an entry in AppDB but evidently
hadn't done so because there isn't one.

> Does it work on XP/Vista?  Some windows 95 programs don't.

It does exactly the same with XP emulation.

I thought the fixme's might refer to some less common drawing function,
but evidently not since nobody else has responded. However, since the
flight stats page is total crap and I can get height information despite
the unavailability of the Barograph display by another, slightly less
convenient method (look at its raw log data display), I'll leave it lie
until I've done the pending Fedora 10 -> 12 upgrade.

Thanks for asking about it.

Martin