[Wine] Problem with a Win95 application

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Apr 9 02:53:45 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:57 -0500, hellork wrote:
> EscapeCommFunction16? Why is it trying to use the COM ports? Maybe
> it's infected with one of those dialers. Remember those? Um, if the
> program legitimately needs this access, I guess you can grant it to
> your user.

Because one of its functions is to download flight logs from my EW flight recorder
and to upload task declarations, pilot details, etc.

The user already has the permissions it needs: I tweaked the UDEV setup
so that appropriate permissions are set when the serial port devices are
created at boot time. As a result a companion EW uploader program that
only handles the same comms functions works perfectly. I used it last
night to pull down yesterday's flight log and correct the flight
recorder's RTC.

However, the two programs almost certainly use different support
libraries and may have other internal changes too: I use an uploader
reissue that fixed unspecified comms problems and can be run under XP,
but ewview was never reissued. Additionally, this problem occurs when
I'm not using ewview's comms functions. The example runs I took the
error reports from throws these errors after it has loaded a flight log
from the local disk and is setting up two of the display and analysis
screens (flight stats and the barograph trace. They never occur when the
just the third analysis screen (a map display of the flight) is used.
Ewview's comms functions are in an entirely different section of its
menu structure - not that than means a lot, I agree.

Martin