[Wine] Re: Using Wine on Ubuntu to install Windows XP

StringCheesian wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 10 14:35:28 CDT 2010

I believe the question has been misunderstood. I think he's aware that wine is not an emulator.

There are 2 ways to install Windows: boot from the install media, or run the installer within an older version of Windows. If the target partition is formatted and mounted, it might be reasonable for him to hope that the installer running on wine would manage to decompress/copy files and then fail trying to change the boot loader. Maybe then he could manually finish by configuring grub to boot the new Windows.

I'm afraid this plan is the best I can think of to try to install through wine and it's still ridiculously optimistic. Realistically, it would be shocking if the installer actually ran.

I think it would be best to forget wine, and try configuring a virtual machine to access a real partition and install Windows that way.

Again, the reason for all this is that he wants to convert a tablet from linux to Windows, but can't boot from optical media and can't boot from USB.