[Wine] Re: diff between 1.0 and 1.1.4x about show images inside an .exe

hellork wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 12 18:27:38 CDT 2010

fbs777 wrote:
> I have installed a program and his .exe file has some gif89a images compiled inside the executable.
>
> I need to remove/hide this images when the executable is running, so i openned the .exe file w/ an hex editor and changed all "GIF89a" by "      " (six white spaces).
>
> In wine 1.0 this works, and the program runs fine without show the images, but in wine 1.1.4x the same edited .exe file dont work, the program close because image format error...
>
> is possible to modify the source code of wine 1.1.4x to accept this like the old 1.0?

Just strip out everything in between the header and footer of the image, or replace it with equivalently-sized .gif image content. The .gif format has the following headers and footers (according to /etc/foremost.conf)

Code:
header: \x47\x49\x46\x38\x37\x61     footer: \x00\x3b
header: \x47\x49\x46\x38\x39\x61	     footer: \x00\x00

But why do this when you don't have the license to modify the executable? Why not just re-write the program?