[Wine] Is it possible to install Visual Studio 2005 with Wine ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 13:08:11 CDT 2010

>> Hi to all !!!. My name is Agustín and I'm living in Córdoba Argentina... My question is: Is it possible to install Visual Studio 2005 in Linux with Wine ???. Or do I need to install Virtual Box then Windows and then Visual Studio 2005 ?. Coz If then it's possible I want to leave only Linux in my computer...
>> Thankx to all...
>> I am studying System Engineering !!! :D
>
> winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks) automatically installs trial and express versions.  Perhaps other versions will install after winetricks has done the necessary preparation.

You need a current wine (1.1.X) for this to work not the "stable"
version from 2008.

> But I don't understand the need to use Visual Studio on Linux. I mean Linux itself is my IDE. Any decent text editor will have tooltips and symbol completion. I've been using SciTE and I just highlight a word and press F1 and the man page pops up with help for every command. man man, man apropos... For more general help topics there is info or pinfo and devhelp will give you more than you need. There is gdb for debugging.
>
> If you need to develop for windows--on Linux--there is mingw. Most text editors have an add-on API files for the windows API, so you can have tooltips and symbol completion there too. For help I just refer to msdn, but there are downloaded versions around. Then of course there is the wine-docs package...

If you need to develop using visual studio under linux using wine can
be a better experience then having to do this under a VM. I am still
waiting for visual studio to work as 100% which it does not at the
moment.

John