[Wine] Mac OS X 10.6.2 Installation

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 14:12:38 CDT 2010

>i've also tried the .dmg but can't seem to get my head around it

This is a Disk iMaGe file (.dmg).  You download it from the supplier.  Then you click on the downloaded file and it mounts as a new disk.  Look in the disk image file for either a 'drag and drop' annotation or a readme file that will instruct you on how to install the file.  For most installable files, you drag them into the Applications folder and then run the application from that folder.  Some disk image files include a .pkg file within them and those are installed by double clicking on them to activate the Apple Installer.  I prefer the first version as all you have to do to to get rid of the application is click on it and drag it to the Trash.  The second requires an uninstaller, and some programs I've looked at had either poor uninstallers or no uninstaller at all.

Again:  Your milage may vary and use at your own risk.

James McKenzie