[Wine] Correct wrong character set?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Apr 16 09:56:52 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 08:49 -0500, cnbiz850 wrote:
> Thanks for tips regarding different editors to use.
>
> Well, in my case, I have to use the editor provided by this Windows
> program, because it then saves it in its native format (not ASCII).  I
> won't somehow I can type the CRLF on my Linux keyboard.
>
> A philosophical question: should Wine actually be the one to handle
> this issue because that is what makes possible to run Windows programs
> on a Linux system?

Well, you can go that way and use the wordpad that comes with wine, but
there are a lot of better editors out there.

PFE and uemacs can both be configured to set the tab width, decide
whether to convert tabs to spaces, whether to use auto indentation  and
what newline to use depending on the file extension.

I suppose you know that changing the $EDITOR environment variable you
can alter the default editor? If you were feeling really cute you could
set $EDITOR to run a shell script that looks at file details such as the
extension or which directory its in and uses that information to decide
which editor to use - including Windows editors under wine.

Also, its worthwhile learning at least the basics of using vi. Not that
its such a wonderful editor, but it can often dig you out of a bad hole
because it can cope with almost any terminal type and can be used with
just the printable text keys plus Enter, Esc and Ctrl. Last but not
least, it is always available on machines running Linux or some form of
Unix.

Martin