[Wine] Natural Selection 2 (engine test) + wine 1.1.43

Edward Savage epssyis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 02:42:43 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM, zimzum <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I emailed Flayra asked about a key for testing and he happily sent one and I've pm'd it to you. For the time being Steam needs to be installed and running for NS2 to launch. NS2 doesn't need to be launched through steam, just needs it to be running.  This will change as the actual alpha and beta releases come and Steamworks is incorporated.
> I'm gonna link to this thread on the NS forums and try to get some of the ppl to post here with what has worked for them and which OS they're using.

Thanks for this.  NS2 installs successfully and attempts to spawn
using 1.1.43 git before crashing.  Disabling mmdevapi allows the
engine window to spawn (nice big black area) before crashing as a
result of some d3d calls looping indefinitely and using up all video
memory.  I'm currently compiling a versions of wine to find one that
works with NS2 and Steam that is closer to when this d3d issue popped
up.

An application profile for NS2 will need to be created in the Appdb
and a bug for this should be created to alert those who need to know
that there is a problem.  I'll report back if I get it properly
running and my steps for doing so so you can try the engine in the
interim.