[Wine] Problem updating wine

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 16:34:31 CDT 2010

On 04/24/2010 11:38 AM, ANDY21 wrote:

> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Ubuntu is good for linux newbies because the programmers do a great deal to
hide the real workings of unix behind pretty GUI frontends.  On the other
hand you'll never get a working knowledge of unix that way, but I suppose
most people don't want to learn the details anyway.

Ubuntu's package manager is one of those pretty guis that hides the details
from you, ie. it uses the old command-line utility to install the packages
for you -- when it works.

dpkg doesn't always work, though, and prints an error just like your problem.

You need to open a Terminal window (the equivalent of a DOS prompt) and type
the quoted part of the error message and hit Enter.

Terminal (in gnome) is in the Applications/Accessories menu.