[Wine] Greater OS X integration

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Wed Apr 28 19:04:58 CDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 7:39 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:

> Haravikk wrote:
>> Custom X11 Build
>> Not exactly a big deal, but the main issue with WINE in OS X's X11 implementation at the moment is that X11 seems to force even full-screen applications to have a title-bar, which means you can never have a truly full-screen application. This produces various issues, such as requiring games to be played a resolution that accounts for the lost vertical space (otherwise it will extend off the bottom of the screen).
>>
> This already exists.  It is called CrossOver4Mac.  Until CodeWeavers releases the custom code they use, it would be a futile effort to duplicate it, as I suspect that they have a patent, a very powerful legal tool that is theirs to use.

Whoa!  No, no patent.  I'm quite dubious that proper full-screen support in X11 would be patentable even if we were so inclined.

Other than copyright on our actual implementation, there's no legal impediment to somebody else implementing the same capability.  I've even cooperated some with the maintainer of Apple's X11 and XQuartz to share our implementation.  The problem is that our approach is applicable to our use case, but not to a general-purpose X server.

Also, our product is called CrossOver Mac, or just CrossOver.  There's no "4" in there.  ;)  Aside from that, thanks for the plug!

Cheers,
Ken