[Wine] Unable to update wine

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 15:01:50 CDT 2010

Mariusz Pluciński <vshader at gmail.com> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 3, 2010 10:49 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: Re: [Wine] Unable to update wine
>
>W dniu 03.08.2010 19:07, vhradice pisze:
>> wine-1.2.0-1.fc12.x86_64 is installed.
>> wine-wow.x86_64 1.2.0-1.fc12 is installed.
>> It looks like the 32 bit version is not and cannot be installed as long as the 64 bit version is installed.
>>
>> Will the 64 bit version run 32 bit versions of Windows programs?
>>
>> If not, then I will have to remove the 64 bit versions and install the 32 bit versions now that I know the proper way to name the packages for Yum.
>
>In Fedora, package "wine" is metapackage which installs all
>packages you need to use wine. 32 bit version installs only 32
>bit wine, while x86-64 installs both 32 and 64 bit environments.
>And you don't need to worry about this, especially don't need
>to worry about version of wine-wow.

There is a slight correction to this statement.  WindowsonWindows (WOW) support has been started on Windows64 versions, but some features you need to run a Windows32 program may not be fully implemented.
If you run into difficulties running your favorite Windows32 bit program, first try to install 32 bit Wine through yum (the programs should be named differently and the files should be named differently.
If the problem affects only WOW, then a bug report should be filed, if one does not exist, to state there is a loss of functionality between the two.
If the problem affects both WOW and Wine32 bit implementation, then a bug report should be filed, if one does not exist to state that there is a loss of functionality that affects both platforms.

>So if you have installed wine-1.2.0-1.fc12.x86_64, then it
>should be possible to run applications for both architectures.
>Simply try to run any windows application to be sure you can.

This should be true, if you are using a 64 bit architecture.  If you attempt to install this package on a 32 bit architecture, then only the 32 bit version will be installed.

James McKenzie