[Wine] Lucerne

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 11:52:35 CDT 2010

David Baron wrote:
> AKA, the Unified Kernel Project, out of China! This patches the linux kernel
> to provide windows kernel-level services in parallel to linux services and
> patches wine to use these rather than emulate them.

I would be very wary of this project.  There are legal reasons that some
things cannot be done that are legal in some areas but not others.
> Anyone used, had success with this?
> Worthwhile?
>
> Patching kernels, while not for all newbies, is fairly quick and hopefully
> painless, at least in Debian. Patching wine is a big job. Since any wine must
> test on startup whether Lucerne patches and drivers are there, it might be
> nice if their thing got incorporated into mainline winery. Got 'em, use 'em,
> or else run just like now.

Been there, done that.  Patching kernels is NOT for the newbie.

Until this undergoes a legal review, I would not use this code.

The LUK project is doing what this is doing, but for all jurisdictions.

James McKenzie