[Wine] Games 'dissappear' after installing in wine...

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Aug 10 08:30:46 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 08:06 -0500, Daqar wrote:

> I ran the installers as root, using the OpenSuse su command,

Thats what you did wrong. 'su' starts a privileged shell which it runs
as root with /root as its home directory, not /home/youruser.

The wine package itself must be installed as root because its a normal
Linux package, but all Wine applications and games MUST NOT be installed
as root because they are intended to be installed as user-level code
that must be installed in the user you intend to run them from. The fix
things:

(1) go into root using 'su' and delete the .wine directory you'll find
there:

	rm -rf .wine

(2) Remember that you never run Wine applications or games as root just
as you never do anything else as root unless its a system maintenance
task.

(3) Reinstall the games in the user where you intend to run them,
without using 'su'

> Is that the error? I couldn't make the installers work without root permissions.

If you run a program with 'sudo' it gets elevated privileges but will
still run in your login, so try running the installer this way:

	sudo wine setup.exe

...but I strongly suggest you read the manpages for su and sudo first so
you know what each does and how to decide which will best accomplish the
task you need done.

Martin