[Wine] Re: Getting EPROM programmer software to work under Wine

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 11 09:14:45 CDT 2010

Mr Ian Primus wrote:
> I have some software for an EPROM programmer that's intended to run under Windows. Of course, I would much rather it work on Wine...
>
> The software in question is available here:
> http://www.bkprecision.com/products/docs/software/845.zip
>
> It installs fine, but when I run it, the software loads it's UI, and then throws up a message box that says simply "EPrivilege". When you click OK, the program closes.
>
> The program, tested on my PC at work running XP, does work under Windows. Under Windows, it displays a message that it can't communicate with the programmer (since it's not attached), but all the menus work. Under Wine, it never even displays that message - it seems to die as soon as it tries to communicate.
>
> I have a feeling this has to have something to do with the access to the parallel port. I've read the various documentation online, and I've tried adding the requisite keys to the registry for direct parallel port I/O. I have also used winecfg to set Wine to run as Windows 98 (since from what I've read, only 9x programs can do direct parallel I/O without a driver). I've set the permissions on /dev/parport0 so I should be able to access it. I've also tried running Wine as root.
>
> I still get exactly the same message.

Never run Wine as root. Follow the instructions here to fix any permissions errors you've created: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8b89c928ce782c014b8b312469223296093e1484

What version of Wine are  you using? I downloaded the app and tested it in 1.3.0. I got the "EPrivilege" dialog when the Windows version was set to XP, but changing it to Windows 98 fixed it--the app behaves exactly as you describe it in Windows. Try upgrading.