[Wine] MSN wtf?

jordan johnston triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 22:39:38 CDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:
>  On 08/12/2010 07:48 PM, iamgeniusrnti wrote:
>>
>> Well I've dabbled with Wine on and off for about a year and quite frankly,
>> I've never gotten Wine to work... in fact I've never gotten Wine to do
>> anything--I don't know why I bother, I guess because sometimes my head
>> inflates, and I just need Wine to tell me that yes tehre are some htings in
>> life I can't have.
>>
>> So I went here: http://wiki.winehq.org/MSN_Messenger_webcam_support
>>
>> Didn't work... cashed.  So I used wine tricks and installed a bunch of
>> crap Google suggested.

I would probably start with a fresh wine directory, ie:  rename .wine
folder.  run winecfg,
it will update your new ./wine folder.  Now, follow the MSN webcam
howto and go from there.
I don't just randomly install a bunch of crap with winetricks, certain
things can and will harm wine. ie: using the wrong dll-overrides. or
just installing something wrong, that have breaks wine.

maybe then by tracking and testing each change you will figure out
what is breaking it.
myself, i do not have an answer for you, i only use wine for access to
Pro-Audio and multimedia applications, and for my purposes wine works
quite excellent!

although sometimes you really do have to research and even guess on
how to get certain apps to install and work properly. Today i had to
install an app as root, in order for it to install properly, then i
had to import all of the apps registry keys from /root/.wine to
/home/jordan/.wine. the app still wouldn't work. I then narrowed it
down to a C++ runtime error,
i went though found the right wine trick, viola now this app works perfectly.

> I use Wine to play all of my favorite Windows(R) games.
> They all play 100% perfectly on my Ubuntu Linux using Wine.
> Wine is one of the greatest "reverse-engineering" applications ever made!

they all play 100% perfectly, minus 15-30% FPS. right?

but i agree, wine is definetly an amazing exercise in
reverse-engineering. It allows me to run 1000's of commercial/freeware
apps in linux....awesomeness!