[Wine] Which hardware component causes performance loss (Starcraft)

Sven21 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 18 07:27:42 CDT 2010

Hi all,

I would like to know which component needs to be substituted to get a better performance in Starcraft 2.

On windows 7 64 bit I get on highest graphics settings something at 30 fps. On my openSuse 11.3 64 bit system with wine 1.3 and nvidia driver I am only able to reach 18 fps or so.

My PC:

- 6 GB RAM
- Intel E6600 @ 2 x 2.40GHz (only 60% while playing)
- Nvida Geforce 8800 GTS 768 MB ram with recent driver 256.44
I am using a dual screen setup, but when playing one screen gets disabled automatically (twinview + modelines in xorg.conf).
- Screen resolution while playing: 1680x1050
- Wine version: 1.3.0

Where is the bottleneck? Is my 3years old high end graphic card too old by now?

I already tried to improve my wine installation using regedit, but I couldn't notice any improvements.

Best regards,

Sven